Latest

Pakistan rules out role in disarming Hamas, condemns West Bank annexation law

Pakistan has strongly condemned Israel’s recent law, following the annexation of parts of the West Bank, reiterating that it will support peace efforts but will not participate in any process aimed at disarming Hamas, it was reported on Thursday.

Responding to a question at the weekly media briefing, Tahir Hussain Andrabi said that Pakistan, along with eight Muslim countries, had last week denounced what it described as Israel’s annexation move in the occupied West Bank.

He added that Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar had made it clear that while Pakistan would take part in the peace process, it would not join any initiative to disarm Hamas.

The spokesperson expressed hope that the Gaza Board of Peace would help alleviate the hardships faced by the people of Gaza amid the ongoing conflict.

Answering a question, he said the decision on the International Stabilisation Force mandate is still awaited, and until this decision is made, we are not in a position to make any final decision.

The spokesperson added that the prime minister is currently in New York on an official visit to the United States at the invitation of Donald Trump, where he is scheduled to attend a Gaza Board of Peace meeting and hold talks with senior US officials.

He further said Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar met the Permanent Palestinian Representative and Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty to discuss regional developments.

Separately, Federal Minister Ahsan Iqbal attended the oath-taking ceremony of the newly elected prime minister of Bangladesh and held meetings with the country’s leadership, highlighting Pakistan’s continued diplomatic outreach.

During the briefing, Pakistan’s Foreign Office renewed its allegations of Indian involvement in terrorism following the arrest and guilty plea of an Indian national, Nikkil Gupta, in the United States over a foiled assassination plot in New York.

Andrabi said Pakistan has consistently raised what it calls Indian-sponsored terrorism at international forums and has shared evidence of alleged Indian backing of militant activities inside Pakistan.

His remarks came after Nikhil Gupta, 54, pleaded guilty in a US federal court to charges linked to a plot to kill a Sikh separatist leader in New York City.

According to US authorities, Gupta admitted to murder-for-hire, conspiracy to commit murder-for-hire and conspiracy to commit money laundering and could face up to 40 years in prison.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button