World

Israel orders UN food agency to cut ties with Turkish NGO in Gaza

Israel has ordered the UN’s World Food Programme to suspend its work in Gaza with a Turkish NGO it has designated a terrorist organisation, the UN agency told AFP on Friday.

“WFP has been instructed by the Israeli authorities to suspend fuel provision immediately and all activities with its partner IHH, cutting off assistance to more than 166,000 people who rely on daily hot meals, bread, and nutrition support to survive,” an agency spokesperson told AFP in a statement.

IHH, or the Humanitarian Relief Foundation, is a Turkish NGO that provides humanitarian assistance and conducts search-and-rescue operations worldwide.

WFP began working with IHH in Gaza in January 2024.

Israel designated it a terrorist organisation in May 2008 over accusations of supporting Hamas.

“WFP’s partnership with IHH was established at a time of extreme need, particularly to reach underserved areas,” WFP said, adding that IHH had been rigorously vetted before the start of the partnership.

Israel’s defence ministry body in charge of civilian affairs in the Palestinian territories, COGAT, announced on Thursday that it had ordered WFP to stop all coordination with IHH after learning “that the UN agency transferred fuel within the Gaza Strip to the IHH organisation”.

In a letter to WFP’s leadership, COGAT’s chief demanded the “immediate suspension of fuel distribution and all other support by WFP to IHH Humanitarian Relief Foundation”.

In a statement, COGAT accused IHH of promoting flotillas that have attempted to breach its blockade of Gaza.

Israel “will not permit the transfer of resources to entities linked to Hamas under humanitarian cover,” the statement added.

WFP lamented the impact the order would have on its activities in war-ravaged Gaza.

“The imposed suspension halts around 111,000 meals per day and critical support to approximately 55,000 pregnant and breastfeeding women and young children at risk of malnutrition,” its spokesperson told AFP.

More than six months after the UN endorsed US President Donald Trump’s peace plan for Gaza, the humanitarian situation in the territory remains catastrophic, three international NGOs said Thursday, calling on Israel to respect its obligations.

“Israel continues to deny most experienced aid groups from bringing in essential supplies, like pipes to fix water systems, shelters, materials and medical supplies at the levels needed,” Oxfam America President Abby Maxman said.

Despite the ceasefire meant to halt the war that started with Hamas’s October 7, 2023, attack on Israel, violence has continued, with Israeli airstrikes pounding the coastal territory several times a week.

“With 1.7 million people facing highly fragile food security conditions, humanitarian operations must be allowed to continue without disruption so life-saving assistance can reach civilians in need,” WFP’s spokesperson said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button