World

Syria condemns Israeli airstrikes as ‘flagrant violation’

Syria has strongly condemned Israeli airstrikes on the Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in Idlib province, calling the attack a serious violation of its sovereignty.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry said the strikes were an unjustified act of aggression. It warned that continued Israeli attacks could further destabilise the region.

According to Syrian state media, Israeli aircraft carried out several strikes on the abandoned military airbase early Tuesday. The attacks targeted the runway and caused damage to the facility’s infrastructure.

No casualties were reported in the strikes.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry said the attacks were particularly concerning as Damascus was seeking to maintain stability and avoid further escalation in the region.

It accused Israel of undermining those efforts and increasing tensions through repeated military operations inside Syrian territory.

The ministry said Israeli attacks had continued since December 2024. It argued that the repeated strikes threatened Syria’s territorial integrity and regional security.

The Abu al-Duhur airbase is located in the eastern countryside of Idlib in northern Syria. The facility has been largely inactive, but its strategic military infrastructure has remained a target during Israel’s operations in Syria.

Israel has carried out numerous strikes in Syria in recent years. Its operations have previously targeted weapons depots, missile facilities and military positions linked to Iranian forces and Hezbollah.

The latest strikes also drew concern from Washington.

US envoy to Syria Tom Barrack said the United States was “deeply concerned” about the Israeli operation. He described the strikes as an unnecessary escalation that would not contribute to regional stability.

Barrack said Syria’s current government had not adopted what he called a predatory approach or maintained proxy forces. He added that Damascus had repeatedly indicated a preference for reducing tensions with Israel.

The US envoy said Washington remained willing to support diplomatic efforts between the two sides. He stressed that dialogue should be prioritised over military escalation.

The latest developments come amid continued instability in Syria following the fall of the Bashar al-Assad government. Israel has expanded its military activity in Syria since then, citing security concerns.

Damascus has repeatedly condemned Israeli military operations and called for respect for Syrian sovereignty.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button