Latest

Pakistan says US made no request to use its airspace for Iran attack

Pakistan’s Foreign Office (FO) has clarified that the United States (US) did not make any request for the use of Pakistani airspace for launching any military action against Iran.

Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Hussain Andrabi made the remarks during a weekly media briefing in Islamabad on Friday.

Tahir Andrabi said regional peace efforts should not be viewed through the lens of any single institution, stressing that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, Field Marshal Asim Munir, Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi were all working collectively to promote stability and diplomacy in the region.

He said Pakistan’s leadership remained in contact with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and other Iranian officials, describing such engagement as part of Pakistan’s normal diplomatic contacts with neighbouring countries.

The spokesperson declined to confirm or deny reports regarding a possible visit to Iran by a high-level Pakistani delegation, saying he was not aware of any such trip and therefore could not comment on its authenticity.

Andrabi also clarified that recent remarks by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio related to the visit of Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, rather than any other individual.

He said Pakistan continued its diplomatic mission to reduce tensions in the Middle East and noted that Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi had made two important visits to Iran during the week, holding meetings with senior Iranian leaders.

The spokesperson added that Pakistan had condemned recent attacks on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. He further stated that Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar had held telephone conversations with foreign officials from Qatar, Egypt and Uzbekistan.

Reiterating Pakistan’s position on regional security, Andrabi said nuclear facilities should never be targeted under any circumstances.

He also announced that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif would depart on an official visit to China tomorrow, on May 23, lasting until May 26, during which he is expected to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping and other senior leaders.

The spokesperson said China had consistently supported Pakistan during difficult times and noted that official events had been organised to mark the 75th anniversary of Pakistan-China diplomatic relations.

Andrabi also confirmed that social activist Saad Edhi, who had been associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla initiative, had been released safely.

Commenting on relations with India, the spokesperson said allegations made by New Delhi were not new. He maintained that Pakistan had repeatedly highlighted evidence of Indian interference, citing the case of Kulbhushan Jadhav as an example.

FO Spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said Pakistan will not compromise on a single drop of its water and will utilise all available legal mechanisms to safeguard its rights under the Indus Waters Treaty.

He said the treaty contains no provision allowing either party to withdraw from it unilaterally. He noted that the agreement includes established legal procedures for addressing disputes and resolving disagreements between the two countries.

The spokesperson said Pakistan had approached the international arbitration forum through the mechanisms provided under the treaty and stressed that the legal process remained the appropriate avenue for addressing water-related concerns.

Referring to the ruling of the International Court of Arbitration, he said the award clearly defined the limits of India’s authority over the western rivers covered by the treaty. Pakistan regards the ruling as final and binding on all parties to the agreement, he added.

The spokesperson further stated that the concept of run-of-river hydroelectric projects could not be viewed solely through the lens of India’s interpretation. He said Pakistan considered the arbitration award satisfactory and consistent with its understanding of the treaty’s provisions.

Addressing another issue, the spokesperson rejected allegations regarding the deportation of Pakistani nationals from the United Arab Emirates, describing such claims as baseless and exaggerated.

He said the figures being circulated regarding the expulsion of Pakistanis from the UAE did not accurately reflect the overall situation. The spokesperson added that the status of the large Pakistani expatriate community in the UAE should be taken into account when assessing the issue.

Commenting on reports that around 3,000 Pakistanis had been deported, he said the figure must be understood within its proper context and maintained that there was no discrepancy between government data and information presented before parliament.

The spokesperson also dismissed recent allegations made in India regarding the discovery of a Pakistani-made fan, describing them as outdated and unfounded claims reminiscent of previous allegations involving a so-called “Pakistani pigeon”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button